2010 Upright Merlot
SAVE 15% on 3-bottles, 20% on 6-bottles & 25% on 12-bottles.
Members save an additional 10% off each tier.
Valid through January 31st or while supplies last!
Rich and deep ruby color, this single vineyard Merlot opens up with fruit driven aromas of fresh blueberries, plum and black cherry, backed by sweet and savory notes of roasted coffee, vanilla bean, dark chocolate, and licorice spice. A crushed stone and dusty earth component is also evident as the wine breathes in glass. Extremely well balanced, the fruit, acid and tannin are expressed on the palate as one seamless unit. It comes across as broad and juicy. It’s very rare to have a wine that is both elegant and powerful. This is that wine. Reintroducing Merlot as a great variety, the 2010 Upright should continue to soften and develop in bottle for the next 6-8 years.
100% Klipsun Vineyard
A cool growing season had many growers and winemakers frightened that fruit may not ripen completely, but once again Mother Nature taught us how unreliable historical knowledge can be when trying to forecast viticultural outcomes. Cool, yes, but long! Plus, Merlot ripens early so it has a better chance of obtaining complete physiological ripening in cooler years. The resulting wines are a perfect combination of elegant varietal aromas and flavors, ripe and age-worthy tannins, and bright, juicy acidity.
Harvested in October and November
• 100% Natural (un-inoculated) fermentation, in addition to malolactic fermentation
• Entirely hand harvested and sorted, small lot fermentations
• Average days on skins = 14
• Pressed straight to 100% French oak; 50% new, 50% seasoned
• Aged on lees until August
• Racked only twice throughout maturation: once to blend in August; once to tank for bottling
• Bottled in June of 2012, unfined and unfiltered (20 months oak matured)
• 100% Merlot
2010 Upright Merlot
- 92 points, Wine Enthusiast
- Cellar Selection, Wine Enthusiast
- 90 points, Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar